Amanda felt extremely well supported by her partner and family members. This helped her avoid getting caught up in thinking about worst case scenarios.
My partner he’s just ultra-positive. He’s the most positive, so positive to the point where it’s “Are you serious? This actually sucks, there are bad things happening here too.” But it’s okay. He’s really upbeat and optimistic and fun and he looks at the best case scenario and is really big on not letting your mind wander onto the “what ifs” which it happens sometimes. The “what ifs” and what about all these bad circumstances that could potentially arise in the next however many years. But it’s best not to think about it. It’s best for your mental health to not think about the “what ifs” until they’re real. And he’s really good at that, and my parents and my brother … everyone’s ultra supportive.
More from: Amanda
- Surgery – AmandaAmanda was fortunate enough to have a choice and describes how that was for her.
- Messages to others – AmandaIt helped Amanda a lot when people gave her space and let her go at her own pace.
- Relating to health care professionals – AmandaRepeating your medical history can be a taxing process. Amanda talks about how it would be great if health professionals could avoid this step whenever possible.
- Coping strategies – AmandaAmanda felt extremely well supported by her partner and family members. This helped her avoid getting caught up in thinking about worst case scenarios.
- Perspectives on treatment pathways – AmandaWhen Amanda heard she needed to undergo chemotherapy, she had to decide within a day with regards to egg conserving therapy.
- Understanding the diagnosis – AmandaEverything is worse in your mind until it actually happens. Amanda feels that you can get through it.
- Sexuality,femininity and intimacy – AmandaAmanda's partner was so supportive that she was able to overcome her anxiety about her image of herself.
- Preserving fertility – AmandaAmanda did decide to freeze her eggs despite the high cost and even though there was no guarantee of success.