Deann underwent testing for several years before the breast cancer was found.
I had my first mammogram in 2009 and at time everything was ok. And then I also had the spot compression in 2009 and everything was okay. When I went back in 2010 and had the follow-up mammogram a year later I got recalled for spot compression again and when I had my spot compression in 2010, instead of doing the right side, they went and did the left side and I kind of felt that there was some errors made in my diagnosis. I just didn’t bother to follow-up on it but I felt that in 2010, I should have probably had the lumpectomy. I may have saved myself from having a mastectomy because it just got bigger and bigger.
More from: Deann
- Reconstruction surgery – Deann (2)Deann describes her experience with DIEP and the complications she had.
- Reconstruction surgery – DeannBeing a nurse helped Deann decide between doing nothing, implants, a DIEP or TRAM flap reconstruction.
- Messages to others – DeannDeann talks about the value of staying positive through her treatment.
- Testing and diagnosis – DeannDeann underwent testing for several years before the breast cancer was found.
- Talking to children about cancer – DeannDeann explains how she handled talking to her teenage children and why she felt it was important for them to hear about her cancer from her.