Nalie described her experience of Lupron and explained why she wanted to go through this procedure despite its unpleasant side effects.
I had to purposely take Lupron shots to protect my fertility because I found out that when doing chemotherapy you can become infertile. To me having children of my own in the future is a huge, huge importance in my life. I also ended up freezing my eggs prior to doing chemotherapy and not only did I freeze my eggs I agreed to take Lupron injections which put you under menopause. So their theory in the reproductive centre is that they say that if you’re not producing any eggs then there’s less of a chance of the chemotherapy harming them.
So I was under menopause at the age of 24 or 25. I was going through menopause with the hot flashes, and all of that on top of chemotherapy symptoms and side-effects. But I wanted to do it, I thought it was important for me to know that I did whatever it took to protect my fertility. So being in menopause your body changes as well, so that’s one thing I had to go through physically, that was challenging.
More from: Nalie
- Chemotherapy – NalieOne of the hardest things for Nalie was to shave her head but at the same time she wanted to show others that there is nothing wrong with being bald.
- Surgery – NalieNalie described how it was for her to have drains.
- Understanding the diagnosis – NalieWhen Nalie heard her pathology report for the first time it sounded like Chinese to her.
- Testing and diagnosis – NalieTesting in Nalie's case was slow to start for several reasons. Once tested, however, follow-up was considered urgent and happened fast.
- First symptoms – NalieNalie wasn't worried about the lumps in her breast; her doctor told her it was probably just a cyst.
- Preserving fertility – NalieNalie described her experience of Lupron and explained why she wanted to go through this procedure despite its unpleasant side effects.
- Physical activity and diet changes – NalieWhile living at home, Nalie actively sought out healthy food choices and had the support and encouragement of her family to do so.