Thanks to the CSIL program in BC, Donovan’s wife can continue to live at home with live-in caregivers.
Next, this coming fall, the 2 women that we have will be leaving, so we have to start the process again to get replacements. And if you deal through an agency and you get somebody from the Philippines, for example that’s where these women are from, it can take 6 months and it’s a frustrating process and expensive. $600 placement fees for each one, plus we end up having to pay their airfares—a lot of money involved. Like I said before, if it wasn’t for the CSIL program though we wouldn’t be still able to live the way we are and where we are. If it wasn’t for the CSIL program, she would be into a facility, and… we sell the house and I move into an apartment. I’ve got a lot of difficulty with this, a lot of difficulty.
More from: Donovan
- When care changes over time – DonovanAt one point, Donovan felt his wife needed a wheelchair for her own safety, but she just wasn’t ready yet.
- The Future and caregiving – DonovanDonovan does not see a bright future, and sometimes has suicidal thoughts as a way to escape his situation as a caregiver.
- Resources – DonovanDonovan stopped going to the local caregivers support group as he felt the other caregivers were in different situations.
- Hospitals and facilities – DonovanDonovan and his wife considered all kinds of options, including a facility. In the end, they decided to continue living at home with the help of live-in caregivers.
- Home care and live-in caregivers – DonovanAlthough Donovan was an experienced supervisor in his professional life, he finds it difficult to supervise the two live-in caregivers.
- Financial impact – DonovanThanks to the CSIL program in BC, Donovan’s wife can continue to live at home with live-in caregivers.
- Caring for yourself – DonovanEven though he feels he needs to socialize, Donovan has trouble finding the time.
- Advice for other caregivers – DonovanAlthough Donovan has been hearing the same advice for years, he still has difficulty looking after himself.